Hollywood has long had a love affair with fairy tales, but the classic Snow White yarn had mostly been confined to the 1937 Disney film. That was until this year; in March we got “Mirror, Mirror” which took the comedy route to mixed success. Now we have a story in the completely opposite direction. “Snow White and the Huntsman,” in theaters today, is a decidedly darker take on the iconic material, making it look more like “The Lord of the Rings” than any fairy tale we’ve seen before.
The man behind the summer tentpole is Rupert Sanders, who guided Kristen Stewart (the hero), Chris Hemsworth (the hunter-turned-protector) and Charlize Theron (the Queen) through a mystical world of black magic, bloody battles and enchanted landscapes. To get an insider’s take on it all, we recruited Sanders for our Call-In Commentary series where filmmakers provide narration to their movie trailers. In the video below, get a behind-the-scenes tour of “Snow White and the Huntsman” as the director walks you through his picture.
MORE CALL-IN COMMENTARIES:
– Watch “The Samaritan” trailer with writer-director David Weaver
– Watch the “Safe” trailer with writer-director Boaz Yakin
– Watch the “Bernie” trailer with writer-director Richard Linklater
– Watch “The Cabin in the Woods” trailer with star Fran Kranz
– Watch “The Moth Diaries” trailer with writer-director Mary Herron
– Watch the “Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie” trailer with Tim and Eric