While we need to continue to propagate the human species, there’s something about teenagers that makes you think twice about that biological imperative. Babies are cute, toddlers are hilarious, and children can be quite precocious and charming, but teenagers? So before you pop the question to your sweetie on Valentine’s Day and get married and start talking about babies, watch some of our favorite movies about twisted teens. Then you can’t say we didn’t warn you.
In no particular order, here are some of our favorite movies about teens gone wild:
1. Larry Clark’s “Bully“, is an all you can eat buffet of parental nightmares. If you want to sample Larry Clark at his most horrifying, watch the film when it airs on IFC at Feb. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET.
2. Catherine Hardewick’s “Thirteen” airs on IFC at 10:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, Feb. 12. The film was written by Hardewick in conjunction with the film’s thirteen-year old star and resident bad influence, Nikki Reed. It’s authenticity is frightening and a cautionary tale to parents everywhere:
3. John Waters’ “Crybaby” is the tale of a girl (Amy Locane) tired of being so darn good all the time. So when the leader of the local gang (Johnny Depp) sheds a single tear in her direction, she is a girl gone wild:
4. What do you do if your daughter gets straight As and is looking at a bright future, but is kind of dating a psychopath and sort of helped off her best friends? Ignore it, of course! What’s your damage, “Heathers“?
5. Privileged teens run wild in Barbara Kopple’s Havoc. The movie star Anne Hathaway and Bijou Phillips as rich kids looking for a walk on the wild side: