IFC has the most sought-after ticket this month to indie events across the country.
First stop: The 2010 Spirit Awards. Don’t miss the live event Friday, March 5th, at 11pm Eastern/8pm Pacific, hosted by comedian Eddie Izzard, who John Cleese once labeled “the lost Python.” It’s a tough call on who will win this year, with critically praised films like “Crazy Heart,” a long overdue testament to the fine acting of Jeff Bridges, the deeply emotional indie “Precious,” the Coen brothers’ “A Serious Man,” (not to be confused with “A Single Man,” also nominated this year) and audience faves like “(500) Days of Summer,” featuring a sweet performance from Joseph Gordon Levitt.
To get a full recap of all the nominees, check out IFC’s Spirit Awards Nomination Special, airing this week and directly before the live event at 10:30pm Eastern/7:30pm Pacific. And catch up on past nominees and winners in IFC’s Best Fest, featuring “Platoon,” “Crash,” “Leaving Las Vegas,” “Sling Blade” and a whole lot more. Tune in for the best of the Spirit Awards all day Thursday, March 4th, and Friday, March 5th leading right up to this year’s ceremony .
Just three days later, IFC is taking you to Austin for SXSW, a festival featuring all things music, film and interactive related. Tune in beginning Monday, March 8th at 8pm for two full weeks of coverage, with back-to-back films that played at the festival, including “Go!,” “Cabin Fever” and docs including “Loudquietloud: A Film About the Pixies,” and “Heavy Metal in Baghdad.”
Plus, don’t miss episodes of the hilarious Brit comedy “The IT Crowd,” and performances “From the Basement” with Sonic Youth, The Shins, The White Stripes and many others. Also in the line-up, our original series “Dinner with the Band,” with master chef Sam Mason cooking up delish food in a Brooklyn loft and hosting musicians like Kid Sister, Yacht and Final Fantasy. And for a daily fix of what’s going on at SXSW, we’ll have updates from the festival every night at 10pm.
*On a side note, most of our series programming will be pre-empted during the full two weeks of SXSW coverage, including the Automat. Please check the on-air schedule to find out where to catch missed episodes from these weeks.
PREMIERES THIS MONTH:
- BOONDOCK SAINTS In this cult classic, two brothers decide to rid Boston of thugs by knocking them off one by one, and no one, not even the FBI agent tracking them, thinks they’re doing anything wrong. Premieres Sun., March 7th @ 6:25PM.
- HARD CANDY Before starring in “Juno,” Ellen Page gave a kick-ass performance as a young girl who meets an older man on the internet, and decides to take things into her own hands when she suspects him to be a pedophile. Premieres Mon., March 8th @ 10:30PM.
- LAYER CAKE A drug dealer on the verge of retirement (Daniel Craig) is given two tough final assignments to complete. Premieres Tue., March 9th @ 10:30PM.
- PROOF A young woman dealing with her father’s death ends up falling for an ex-student of his, who happens to be trying to dig up clues on the former professor’s life. Ensemble cast includes Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jake Gyllenhaal. Premieres Fri., March 19th @ 11AM.
- THE ORDER A young priest is given the task of investigating the death of the head of his order. Stars Heath Ledger, Shannyn Sossamon and Benno Furmann. Premieres Fri., March 26th @ 7PM.