With preparations for the 2010 Spirit Awards underway, IFC is celebrating all month with past winners and nominees of the prestigious indie film honor. Thursday, February 25th, beginning at 6am, tune in for an all day festival featuring Best First Feature winners “Garden State” and “Heathers.” Plus, check out Harvey Keitel’s winning performance in Abel Ferrara’s corrupt police drama “Bad Lieutenant.”
And catch other fine films that have a Spirit Award nomination under their belt, including Dito Montiel’s coming-of-age autobiographical story “A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints,” troubled teens in “Blue Car” and “Trans,” a flesh-eating horror in “Cabin Fever,” and a girl who dabbles in love on both sides of the fence in “Kissing Jessica Stein.” Don’t miss the best in indie, or the 2010 Spirit Awards, which will air live on IFC Friday, March 5th.
And this Valentine’s Day, IFC is proving love really does bite with a slew of vampire films. Don’t miss Russian blockbuster “Night Watch,” based on the first in a series of horror novels. Then, catch “Near Dark,” the debut film from “The Hurt Locker”‘s Kathryn Bigelow, revolving around a guy who joins a vampire family after falling for one of the members. Rounding out the lovefest of fright, Willem Defoe gives a memorable and almost unrecognizable performance in “Shadow of the Vampire,” about the filming of the 1920s vampire classic “Nosferatu.” It all starts Sunday, February 14th at 4:45pm.
Also, in honor of Black History month, IFC honors African American independents on Thursday, February 4th starting at 8pm. Tune in for “Bamboozled,” Spike Lee’s satirical film about an African American television writer who creates an outlandish minstrel show that goes on to become a huge success. Plus, catch R. Kelly’s cult musical drama phenomenon “Trapped in the Closet,” and Keenan Ivory Wayan’s throwback to ’70s blaxploitation “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka.”
If you couldn’t get a ticket to this year’s Interactive Achievement Awards, don’t fret. IFC will honor the best of the best in gaming as we bring you the “Oscars of video games,” hosted by Jay Mohr, on February 26th at 10pm.
PREMIERES THIS MONTH:
- PENNY DREADFUL: A girl fearful of cars is taken to a remote location by her psychiatrist with the intention to help overcome her phobia, but it ends with her worst fears becoming a reality. Premieres Wed 02/03/10 @ 8:00pm.
- KINKY BOOTS: A drag queen (played by Chiwetel Ejiofor) helps a shoe businessman keep his company alive. Premieres Fri 02/05/10 @ 6:55pm.
- GET SHORTY A mobster heads to La La land only to discover that his job isn’t much different than being movie producer. Ensemble cast includes John Travolta, Danny DeVito, Rene Russo and Gene Hackman. Premieres Sun 02/07/10 @ 8:15pm.
- KISS OF FIRE Christina Applegate stars as a small-town stripper who begins a troubled relationship with an Italian tourist. Premieres Wed 02/24/10 @ 8:00pm.
- THE WOODS Sent to an isolated boarding school, a girl comes across mysterious occurrences happening in the woods surrounding the students in this second feature from “May” director Lucky McKee. Premieres Fri 02/26/10 @ 12:00am.