The holidays are upon us, and in this final month of the year, IFC is giving the gift of dinner, music, cult film, a pot-dealing Christmas special and a New Year’s in New York you won’t soon forget.
Thursday, December 3rd beginning at 8pm, check out a night of indie cult films, featuring David Cronenberg’s “Crash”; the goofy low-budget special effects of “The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai” and the NC-17 over-the-top ’70s flick “Beyond the Valley of the Dolls” (written by film critic Roger Ebert!). And rounding it out, don’t miss William Shatner battling horrifying giant arachnids in “Kingdom of the Spiders.”
If you can’t make it to New York’s Times Square this New Year’s Eve to watch the ball drop, don’t sweat it — IFC has your ticket to the wildest city to be in December 31st with an all-day festival of Gotham-centric films starting at 7:15am. Tune in for Woody Allen classics like “Manhattan,” and “Annie Hall”; watch Leonardo DiCaprio and Daniel Day-Lewis duke it out in “Gangs of New York”; see Robert Downey Jr. grow out of the mean streets in “A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints” and catch Macauley Culkin turning into a “Party Monster.” For a list of all the films, check out the full schedule for that day.
Also this month, IFC presents a not-so-typical “Ideal Christmas Special” chock full of holiday surprises. Moz is “dealing” with the holidays, and we don’t mean just pot — his mom pays a visit, and his pregnant girlfriend is making out with… another girl? Don’t miss it Tuesday, December 1st at 10:30pm, right before a brand new episode of “Dinner with the Band” featuring Sam Mason cooking up some seriously good food and conversation with a bunch of indie bands. Musical acts this month include Final Fantasy, Kid Sister and Flosstradamus, plus many more.
PREMIERES THIS MONTH:
- HEATHERS The prettiest, most popular girls in school, known as the Heathers, find their clique crumbling after a rebellious new boy shows up. Stars Winona Ryder, Christian Slater and Shannen Doherty. Premieres Fri., December 4th @ 7:15pm.
- THE LIBERTINE Johnny Depp stars as John Wilmot, a 17th century poet and notorious rake whose excesses cause his death at a tragically young age, though he later earned critical acclaim for his work. Also stars John Malkovich and Samantha Morton. Premieres Sun., December 6th @ 11:00pm.
- TOUCHING THE VOID Two young mountain climbers are faced with life and death when their trip to the Peruvian Andes goes awry in this documentary by Kevin Macdonald (“The Last King of Scotland,” “State of Play”). Premieres Wed., December 9th @ 9:35pm.
- SWEETIE A family get-together exposes the psychological realities of their dysfunctional situation in the debut film from director Jane Campion (“The Piano,” “Bright Star”). Premieres Thu., December 17th @ 6:15pm.
- THE NAMESAKE Mira Nair (of “Monsoon Wedding,” “Mississippi Masala”) directs this adaptation of Jhumpa Lahiri’s acclaimed novel about the son of Indian immigrants trying to find his place America. Stars Kal Penn and Jacinda Barrett. Premieres Thu., December 31st @ 10:35am.