Happy St. Patty’s day to ya!
As we like to do on every holiday (from Christmas to Halloween to Earth Day), here’s a mixtape to play as your soundtrack for all the pub-crawlin’ and corned beef and cabbage eatin’ you’ll be doing on this most Irish of days.
Top o’ the mornin’, afternoon, and evenin’ to ya!
1. “Beautiful Day,” U2
2. “Hitchin’ A Ride,” Green Day
A song about drinking from a band with the word “green” in its name–seemed too perfect to pass up.
3. “Jump Boys,” The Undertones
A fun tune from my favorite Irish punk band.
4. “Where Do I Begin,” The Chemical Brothers/Beth Orton
You get Beth’s beautiful Irish vocals with some Chemical Brothers’ electronic treats at the end.
5. “Gold Song,” The Bouncing Souls
This track begins with the sound of a beer bottle hitting the floor and features a whole bunch of “heys!“. Yep, this is definitely what’s on the other side of the rainbow. (“Gold Song” also comes off The Gold Record.)
6. “Shamrocks and Shenanigans,” House of Pain (Butch Vig Mix)
Still one of my favorite remixes of all time.
7. “Zombie,” The Cranberries
Some history is dropped in this serious song that’s fun to sing-a-long to.
8. “The Gang’s All Here,” Dropkick Murphys
Hail, hail the gang’s all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there!
9. “4 Leaf Clover,” Erykah Badu
How ’bout a little soul for your St. Patrick’s Day mix!
10. “Hash Pipe,” Weezer
For the sake of the mixtape, this “hash” is the kind you eat with corned beef. This tune is also appropriate because it comes off The Green Album.
11. “Lucky,” Radiohead
There are a lot of songs called “Lucky,” but this ranks as my favorite (sorry Britney).
12. “This Town,” Green River
An ode to all the cities that dye their river green today, and an ode to the early grunge super group that gave us Mudhoney and Pearl Jam.
13. “Superstition,” Stevie Wonder
This song goes out to all the Irish superstitions in the world (appropriately numbered).
14. “The Irish Rover,” The Pogues
I’d be run out of town if I didn’t include a Pogues’ song on this mix…
15. “Grace of God Go I,” Flogging Molly
…or a track from these guys.
16. “Two Angry Kids,” Street Dogs
With a name like Mike McColgan, and a résumé that includes former frontman duties for the Dropkick Murphy’s, this mix is calling for some Street Dogs.
17. “Over The Rainbow,” Me First and The Gimme Gimmes
Thought this version was more in the spirit of the St. Patty’s holiday than the Judy Garland one.