This weekend (August 1-3) Lollapalooza hits Grant Park in Chicago, IL for its twelfth installment. Borrowing from the European festival mold, Perry Farrell gathered together acts from all different genres of music to join his band, Jane’s Addiction, for their farewell tour in 1991, christening the festival: Lollapalooza.
(left: Lollapalooza, from tour to hiatus to weekend festival.)
Lollapalooza differed from other festivals, because its line-up would tour the country, rather than just put on one show in one city. The tour flourished until many copycat festivals flooded the market. Lollapalooza went on hiatus in 1998, and made somewhat of a comeback in 2003. Ironically, after canceling the tour in 2004, Lollapalooza, like its European predecessors, became a one-stop music festival.
See how much you know about Lollapalooza:
11. True or False? This year’s headliners, Nine Inch Nails and Rage Against the Machine, shared the same Lollapalooza bill in 1991?
10. Who did NOT play the slacker-friendly Lollapalooza of 1995?
A. Sonic Youth
9. During many Smashing Pumpkins’ performances during Lollapalooza ’94, Billy Corgan could be heard giving lengthy on-stage complaints and rants about what?
A. Not having enough bottled water on stage.
B. Having to play after the Beastie Boys–who whipped the crowd into a tizzy, night after night, which led concert-goers to chant: “BEASTIE BOYS!” during the Pumpkins’ sets.
C. Guitarist, James Iha’s, lack of excitement during the Pumpkins’ live show.
8. What year did The Ramones, Metallica, Rancid, and Soundgarden share a Lollapalooza bill?
7. During a Lollapalooza tour stop in 1993, Rage Against the Machine stripped down buck-naked and led a 14-minute silent protest against censorship in music. What did they have written on their chests?
6. Sinead O’ Connor played a few stops at Lollapalooza ’96, before dropping off the bill. Why did she leave?
A. Organizer, Perry Farrell, asked her to leave because she kept badmouthing the festival during her live sets.
B. She was pregnant.
C. She developed a staph infection while shaving her head with a dirty razor.
5. Lollapalooza ’04 was cancelled because of poor ticket sales and other logistical reasons. Who was slated to play?
A. Kanye West, Weezer, The Pixies, Billy Idol
B. The White Stripes, The Strokes, The Hives, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
C. Morrissey, PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips
4. What does the word Lollapalooza mean?
A. Native American word for “concert”
B. A word uttered by Perry Farrell in a drunken stupor
C. Wonderful person or thing
3. In an ode to Lollapalooza, there is an episode of The Simpson’s where Homer becomes the side-show attraction on the Hullabalooza Tour. Can you name at least three artists who appear on the epsidoe?
2. How many gallons of water are approximately sold at the 3-day festival?
1. Lollapalooza ’94 was the most successful year of the tour, grossing $21 million. The tour may have done even better, if what band didn’t pull out a few months before?
A. Led Zeppelin
B. The Smiths
C. Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg
11-False, 10-C., 9-B., 8-A., 7.-B., 6.-B., 5-C, 4-C, 3-Peter Frampton, Cypress Hill, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, No Doubt, 2-B, 1-D