At least a couple times a year, I try to send 20-30 of my closest music listening friends a Milkit mix CD (Milkit is my half-imaginary/half-real indie record label that has been putting out homemade mixtapes for years).
(left: My co-worker/cat, Bat-Bat, is the official cover girl of my latest mix. Note: I’ll probably scrimp on the color copying and go black-and-white for the CD-sleeve, sorry Troy).
Half of the people receiving the mix have kept up with current music (and will probably debate me on why I didn’t include certain tracks), while the other half have fallen a bit behind (that’s what happens when you work a full-time job and have a family to take care of). Because I want everyone to enjoy the disc equally, I never make my mixes too indie (may go over some of my friends’ heads) or too commercial friendly (why put it on a disc if they can hear a song every two seconds on the radio?).
I can’t believe it took me until the month of June to finally get one out, but it’s done (whew) and the tracklisting is below.
For anyone interested in how I compiled the mix-disc, here are the regulations I put upon myself:
Each track had to be released in either 2008 or the latter part of last year.
Each track has to have both an indie-minded and potentially commercial appeal.
Not every song had to be released as a single, but each track should be single-worthy.
At least two hip-hop songs have to make the mix, just to prove that there’s still some good hip-hop out there.
1. The Last Shadow Puppets, “The Age of the Understatement”
2. Saul Williams, “Sunday Bloody Sunday”
3. The Roots, “Get Busy”
4. Weezer, “The Greatest Man That Ever Lived”
5. The Kills, “Cheap and Cheerful”
6. Hot Chip, “Shake a Fist”
7. The Raconteurs, “Consoler of the Lonely”
8. MGMT, “Time to Pretend”
9. The Ting Tings, “Great DJ”
10. Santogold, “Creator”
11. Cool Kids, “88”
12. The Black Keys, “Strange Times”
13. Tim Fite, “Big Mistake”
14. The Bird and The Bee, “Polite Dance Song”
15. International Superheroes of Hardcore, “Seat Belt”
16. Sons & Daughters, “Gilt Complex”
17. Foals, “Cassius”
18. Nada Surf, “Weightless”
19. Dizzee Rascal (feat. UGK), “Where’s da G’s”
20. Vampire Weekend, “I Stand Corrected”