An update for any of you (and there must be some of you out there) pining for the latest film from Baz Luhrmann. In August of last year, it was announced that Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman were in talks with Luhrmann to star in what would surely be the Most Australian Film Ever, after their previous attempt at a project together, "Eucalyptus," was cancelled after Crowe’s rumored disagreements over the script with director Jocelyn Moorhouse.
Last week, Crowe has bounced from the film in favor of the still extremely Australian Heath Ledger â€” the New York Post‘s Page Six (cough) reported that this was because Crowe was again demanding script approval:
The producers told Luhrmann to find another actor, and the director met several times with fellow Aussie Ledger. "Baz liked him and offered him the movie," said one source. "Then Crowe came back to Luhrmann and said he’d forego script approval and wanted to do the movie, but they told him it was too late – to buzz off." Crowe’s flack had no comment.
The Daily Telegraph announced on Thursday that Ledger passed in favor of a larger project, leaving Luhrmann dangling. And in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday, Christine Sams writes that Crowe has denied any temper tantrums regarding the script.
It’s a shame (and not only because of the lack of phone-hurling) â€” we can’t imagine how Luhrmann possibly convinced anyone to give him a reported $150 million to make the film (nor can we imagine what combination of stunning/headache-inducing such a film would be), and the longer the project sits in limbo the less likely it is that it will actually happen.
+ BLUFF CALLED (NY Post)
+ Stars in Hollywood power play (Daily Telegraph)
+ Dumped Crowe at a loss to explain the director’s cut (Sydney Morning Herald)