If pop culture has taught us anything, it’s that nothing resolves a conflict quite like a dance-off. Just think how much better a place the world would be if we all settled our disputes through dance battles. One can dream. To get you ready for Fred and Carrie’s epic dance-off on tonight’s Portlandia premiere, here are 8 of the greatest dance battles in pop culture history.
8. Charlie Vs. Dennis, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Charlie’s sweet dance routine literally takes our breath away.
7. Zoolander Vs. Hansel, Zoolander
OK technically, this is a “walk-off.” But you know they mean business when Bowie is the judge.
6. Stifler’s ’80s Dance-Off, American Wedding
Stifler proves he’s totally bangable by dancing his ass off to hits by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, The Eurythmics and more.
5. Janey (Sarah Jessica Parker) on DTV, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Long before Carrie Bradshaw was running around NYC in shoes that no freelance writer could afford (trust me on that), SJP was showing off her fancy footwork in a Dance TV contest with her motorcycle riding, midriff-baring hottie Jeff.
4. The gang from Rydell High, Grease
Nothing says tough ’50s greaser like pink socks and a mean hand-jive.
3. Starsky Vs. Dancin’ Rick, Starsky & Hutch
You wouldn’t think Ben Stiller could bust such sweet moves in such tight pants, but you’d be wrong.
2. Star Lord Vs. Ronan, Guardians of the Galaxy
Star Lord’s super power? Hot dance moves. Take that, Ronan.
1. Jets Vs. Sharks, West Side Story
The streets of NYC used to be a very rough place, which is obvious by this mambo dance-off between two rival gangs.
Watch a clip from Portlandia premiere (airing tonight 10p) below: