Is there any worse task than being sent to an “Arrested Development” live Q&A? Maybe eating a disgusting amount of barbeque and enjoying free comedy shows for days under the guise of “working”? Either way, you can clearly see that we’ve been having a horrible time this year in Austin, between all the amazing food, free laughs and access to the stars and creator behind one of the most anticipated new releases of 2013. But hyperbolic, faux complaints aside, here are eight things we learned when we sat in on the “Arrested Development” live Q&A this week:
1. Will Arnett joined Twitter! It’s true! And we should all probably go ahead and follow him.
2. Maria Bamford’s character’s name will be Debris.
3. Table reads are not a part of the filming process (anymore). They did do a few during Season 1.
4. There will be 14 episodes (okay, maybe we knew that already, but it was good to hear a number from Mitch, not the internet).
5. The 14 new episodes will not pick up where the show left off. They will show what each character has been up to during the break between seasons.
6. There is a bigger story beyond just the 14 episodes (MOVIE! MOVIE! MOVIE!), but no movie deal is currently in place.
7. Yes, some of the characters with smaller roles will return, but not all of them, necessarily. Why? They didn’t want the new season to become a “greatest hits.”
8. Yes! We did get to see a couple clips previewing the new episodes. One featured Gob, Michael and “Forget Me Now,” aka “Roofies” and the other was an unedited, hilarious outtake featuring Lucille and Buster. Oh, Buster, how you’ve been missed.
As if the Q&A and sneak peek weren’t enough of a treat for attendees, we were also given free grilled cheese, coffee and the opportunity to stick around and play “Arrested Development” bingo with Jeffrey, Mitch and Will. Not too bad of a setup, eh? Special thanks to Samsung Galaxy for putting on the whole event, and remembering to send an invite our way.