DID YOU READ

Steven Spielberg’s “Robopocalypse” put on hold

robopocalypse

Posted by on

So much for all the exciting casting news surrounding “Robocopocalypse.” It’s been announced that the sci-fi project has been put on an “indefinite” hold as script issues are ironed out, which means that Steven Spielberg probably won’t end up directing the movie after all.

“[‘Robopocalypse’ is] too important and the script is not ready, and it’s too expensive to produce,” Spielberg’s spokesperson Marvin Levy told The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s back to the drawing board to see what is possible.”

It had been reported that Anne Hathaway, Ben Whishaw and Chris Hemsworth were considering roles in the movie. It even had a projected release date: April 25, 2014. Drew Goddard had written the script, but it doesn’t sound like Speilberg’s camp was too happy about it. There we were thinking that everyone in their right mind would enjoy something along the lines of “Cabin in the Woods.”

Here’s the official synopsis of “Robopocalypse”:

Not far into our future, the dazzling technology that runs our world turns against us. Controlled by a childlike—yet massively powerful—artificial intelligence known as Archos, the global network of machines on which our world has grown dependent suddenly becomes an implacable, deadly foe. At Zero Hour—the moment the robots attack—the human race is almost annihilated, but as its scattered remnants regroup, humanity for the first time unites in a determined effort to fight back. This is the oral history of that conflict, told by an international cast of survivors who experienced this long and bloody confrontation with the machines. Brilliantly conceived and amazingly detailed, “Robopocalypse” is an action-packed epic with chilling implications about the real technology that surrounds us.

Are you disappointed “Robopocalypse” isn’t happening any time soon? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.

Carol Cate Blanchett

Spirit Guide

Check Out the Spirit Awards Nominees for Best Male and Female Leads

Catch the 2016 Spirit Awards live Feb. 27th at 5P ET/2P PT on IFC.

Posted by on
Photo Credit: Wilson Webb/©Weinstein Company/Courtesy Everett Collection

From Jason Segel’s somber character study of author David Foster Wallace, to Brie Larson’s devastating portrayal of a mother in captivity, the 2016 Spirit Awards nominees for Best Male and Female Leads represent the finest in the year of film acting. Take a look at the Best Male and Female Leads in action, presented by Jaguar.

Best Male Lead 

Christopher Abbott, James White
Abraham Attah, Beasts of No Nation
Ben Mendelsohn, Mississippi Grind
Jason Segel, The End of the Tour
Koudous Seihon, Mediterranea

Watch more Male Lead nominee videos here.

Best Female Lead 

Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Bel Powley, The Diary of A Teenage Girl
Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Tangerine

Watch more Female Lead nominee videos here.

Samuel L. Jackson and Anne Hathaway compete in a Christmas movie “sad off”

anne-hathaway-samuel-l-jackson-sad-off

Posted by on

Nothing says Christmas like slaves and whores, according to Samuel L. and Anne Hathaway. The “Django Unchained” and “Les Miserables” stars competed in a “sad off” that is so funny it’s likely going to define how we see those movies when we finally get a chance to watch them.

The Sad Off with Samuel L. Jackson and Anne Hathaway from Samuel L Jackson

We won’t spoil the jokes because Hathaway and Jackson deliver them much better than we do, but let’s just say that this is one Funny or Die video you won’t want to miss. As for Jackson’s gingerbread slave plantation and Hathaway’s performance of “Silent Night” as a woman dying of tuberculosis… well, we’ll let you see for yourself.

Which movie do you think would win in a “sad off”: “Les Miserables” or “Django Unchained”? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.

J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg, Guillermo del Toro and more shoot down “Star Wars: Episode VII” involvement

jj-abrams

Posted by on

“Star Wars: Episode VII” might officially have a writer, but it doesn’t have a long line of big name directors itching to helm it. Following the news that Disney was eying the likes of J.J. Abrams, Steven Spielberg and Brad Bird to direct the flick, most of those names have come out and denied their involvement.

“No! No! It’s not my genre. It’s my best friend George [Lucas]‘s genre,” Spielberg told Access Hollywood last week.

Now Abrams, who previously said he was “thrillified” by the concept of helming the movie, has since come out to say he’s not going to be the man behind the camera on this one.

“Look, ‘Star Wars’ is one of my favorite movies of all time,” Hollywood Life. “I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!”

Guillermo del Toro has also said it’s not his cup of tea, telling Fanhattan, “You know, I saw it on the Internet, but I haven’t approached them, they haven’t formally approached me. I mean, I heard some rumblings, but to me it’s really — I have so many projects to discuss or think about. [For] something that is not a possibility yet, I don’t do that. You know, because I have so many things that I need to catch up with. If this becomes ever a reality, and there’s an approach to do it, I would then think about it, but — it’s like thinking if I want to date a supermodel. I don’t think about these things.”

Most emphatically against the movie is Quentin Tarantino, who told Entertainment Weekly, “I could so care less. Especially if Disney’s going to do it. I’m not interested in the Simon West version of ‘Star Wars.'”

And, of course, Zack Snyder shot down the movie to the Los Angeles Times, saying , “I don’t think I’d be interested in directing it. I’m a huge ‘Star Wars’ fanatic. I just think doing [episodes] seven, eight and nine is just a slippery slope. It’s a whole other mythological experiment I’m excited to see, but it’s a lot of effort.”

For his part, Bird is currently lined up to direct the mysterious Disney project “1952,” so he seems out of contention as well. But there is one major Hollywood name who seems interested in the flick: Jon Favreau.

“I think both J.J. and I come from a generation of people who formed our whole creative persona around what we experienced as kids from watching those films, and I have had the good fortune of working with George [Lucas] and around George, and whether it is doing a voice on ‘Clone Wars,’ or being at the Skywalker Ranch mixing ‘Iron Man’ – so I have been very happy and lucky to just experience the culture that Lucas has created, both in my own life growing up as a kid and professional – whether it was interviewing him at film festivals on stage, he is just a really wonderful, talented gifted guy who has changed the business so much, so I am just giddy, first and foremost as a fan, to see what happens with it,” he told Hollywood Life. “I think there is a lot of question marks of how they are going to do it, and who they are going to do it with, and what the story is going to be about; but to say that I am not excited about it is definitely an understatement. We’ll see.”

Lastly, it’s “Safety Not Guaranteed” director Colin Trevorrow who seems most interested in the part. His name has been attached to “Star Wars: Episode VII” in some rumors, and he seemingly implied to podcast filmmixern that he had met with producers.

“I have very little to say about it,” he said. “Certainly, no specifics about whats going on behind the scenes in the selection of that person [a director]. I think that I can speak as a ‘Star Wars’ fan, which is important to me. Whoever does do this movie, I think, just needs to have a fundamental understanding of why it’s important to us. We come from a generation who grew up with this as children, to us it’s almost a belief system. It’s harder for people who are older or who were already teenagers when the movie came out to understand how deeply it is our mythology. And there are a bunch of incredible directors who are up for this job… I think whoever gets it will have that fundamental understanding of why ‘Star Wars’ matters so much to a billion people. It’s just incredible. So that’s all I can say about that. I’m equally excited about it. … That’s all you’re gonna get!”

“Star Wars: Episode VII” is slated to hit theaters in 2015.

Who would you like to see direct “Star Wars: Episode VII”? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.

“Star Wars: Episode VII” targets “Toy Story 3″ screenwriter Michael Arndt

060512-star-wars

Posted by on

Well, that was fast. Disney has reportedly already narrowed in on the screenwriter it wants to use for the next three “Star Wars” films, and he’ll be none other than Oscar-winner Michael Arndt.

Arndt is actually a pretty smart choice for Disney to pick. He helped pen “Toy Story 3″ with John Lasseter and Lee Unkrich, so he’s no stranger to the Mouse House. He’s also been nominated for an Oscar for both of his produced screenplays, and won one for “Little Miss Sunshine.” Arndt has been a hot commodity this year, having contributed to the screenplays for “Catching Fire” and “Oblivion.” He also has been brought back by Disney to write “The Untitled Pixar Movie That Takes You Inside the Mind.”

The news that Arndt had written a 40 to 50 page treatment for the upcoming “Star Wars” project was first confirmed by Vulture and later confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter, with Deadline reporting that the treatment is for the entire sequel trilogy. Arndt has apparently been developing this treatment since before Disney announced its acquisition of Lucasfilm, and it will be passed around to potential directors including Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg and J.J. Abrams.

In addition, Vulture has some new details about what the new movies are going to be about. Apparently the original three stars — Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill — won’t just be making cameo appearances; they’ll be leading the movie.

“Sources also tell Vulture that the studio’s brass want to bring back the three central characters of the original ‘Star Wars': a much older Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Han Solo. No deals are in place with any of the original actors, though our source did say it had high ambitions to sign up Mark Hamill, and EW recently reported that Harrison Ford was open to the idea of returning,” the site writes.

Fisher has also vocalized her interest in reprising the role of Princess Leia. “Star Wars: Episode VII” is due to hit theaters in 2015 with each subsequent sequel coming out a year or two after, and it’s gearing up to enter production in 2014.

Do you think Arndt is a good pick for the three “Star Wars” sequels? What do you think of the rumored plans for the movies’ plot? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.

Ben Wishaw and Anne Hathaway join Steven Spielberg’s “Robopocalypse”

robopocalypse

Posted by on

Steven Spielberg has spent his time over the past few years tackling historical epics with movies like “War Horse” and “Lincoln,” but he’s going to have a little fun with his next project. The esteemed director has already brought Chris Hemsworth on board his sci-fi flick “Robopocalypse,” and now he has added too more young talents to his cast.

Variety is reporting that “Skyfall” star Ben Wishaw is the latest to join “Robopocalypse,” which follows in Deadline‘s news yesterday that Anne Hathaway has come on board as well. Wishaw will play an expert hacker named Lurker, while Hathaway is portraying the flick’s female lead. Drew Goddard wrote the script for “Robopocalypse,” which is good news for anyone who saw and loved “Cabin in the Woods.”

Here’s the official synopsis of “Robopocalypse”:

Not far into our future, the dazzling technology that runs our world turns against us. Controlled by a childlike—yet massively powerful—artificial intelligence known as Archos, the global network of machines on which our world has grown dependent suddenly becomes an implacable, deadly foe. At Zero Hour—the moment the robots attack—the human race is almost annihilated, but as its scattered remnants regroup, humanity for the first time unites in a determined effort to fight back. This is the oral history of that conflict, told by an international cast of survivors who experienced this long and bloody confrontation with the machines. Brilliantly conceived and amazingly detailed, “Robopocalypse” is an action-packed epic with chilling implications about the real technology that surrounds us.

“Robopocalypse” is slated to start filming next year and is expected to hit theaters on April 25, 2014.

What do you think of this casting news for “Robopocalypse”? Tell us in the comments section below or on Facebook and Twitter.

Powered by ZergNet