Indie flick “Boy” has been racking up awards throughout European film festivals, and now it’s hitting American shores. The New Zealand gem centers on a Michael Jackson-obsessed 11-year-old boy in a remote town, fantasizing about when his deadbeat father returns. When that happens, it’s not exactly like Boy predicted or hoped for.
To get a better sense of the film, we asked writer/director Taika Waititi to record a Call-In Commentary for us — the series where filmmakers provide a commentary for their trailer. In the video below, Taika fleshes out the storyline, and adds those little tidbits that make commentaries so great (such as who drew the Thriller-inspired art piece). “Boy” arrives in limited release this Friday.
MORE CALL-IN COMMENTARIES:
– Watch “The Forgiveness of Blood” trailer with writer-director Joshua Marston
– Watch the “Act of Valor” trailer with directors Mike McCoy & Scott Waugh
– Watch “The Way” trailer with writer-director Emilio Estevez
– Watch the “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance” trailer with directors Neveldine & Taylor
– Watch the trailer for the Oscar-nominated “Bullhead” with writer-director Michaël R. Roskam
– Watch the “Rampart” trailer with writer-director Oren Moverman